Friday, September 3, 2010

Game Engine

So over the past few days I have been developing the game engine for Acts of Anger. As coding isn't a strong point of mine, I went to the web to find myself something to build off. I couldn't find anything really suitable and most things that were close were coded in actionscript 2. What I did find though was some basic coding that called a background image from the flash library and had it scroll on the stage. It was coded in AS2 but I was able to update it to AS3 relatively easy. Now I had to get a character loaded also and controllable by the player. This was easy enough from my experience in 2D game design. I added the character script I used back in that course and added the extra necessary coding to what I had already with the scrolling background.

After that I added some boundaries to the stage as previously my character could go off screen, leaving it like this would mean having a pretty big cheat in the game. You could just float of screen until the pickups came along to grab. Once this was done I then had to add pickups and obstacles to the engine. I didn't have much luck but with some help from a class mate I was able to include these things in the game. While they do work, the code for pickups isn't the greatest. Thankfully though I have got in touch with Ben Jack and he's going to help me set these things right in the game. He coded up a platformer engine with pickups/obstacles recently, with him being this years tutor for 2D game design. So while I now have a complete engine, by the end of this next week I hope to have a complete engine, well written/stable, and that I can easily link my levels together.

Without further or do though, here is how the engine is running in its current state:

What's included:

Background scrolls, you have a controllable character with animations playing with different keys hit, boundaries on the stage, pickups - stars. collect 3 and the 2nd level starts though this has nothing built into it yet, obstacles - red circles. hit these and you return to the start of the level.

No comments:

Post a Comment