Sunday, October 3, 2010

Final Backgrounds



So background design has turned out to be a real mission for me. After doing a whole bunch of different tests and experiments with different techniques I wound up developing my backgrounds in the style of the latest technique I posted only after going down this route I found myself making backgrounds which ended up being far too detailed and when put in game, they would become too distracting especially because they scroll along so fast and it became hard to keep an eye on Franklin who is the character you are supposed to be controlling. I also found myself getting a bit of motion sickness which is the worst thing I could be doing. So I decided to simplify my backgrounds to a lesser detail and I am much happier with the results of this.

Another change I made was to do with colour. Originally I planned on using different colours throughout but then I found myself wondering how this really represented the anger going on in Franklin's mind as ultimately that is the setting to the levels. So then I went about basing each backgrounds colour to that of the memory Franklin is working towards identifying, it being the cause of his anger. As with the memory artwork, each one sort of had its own colour. The first being a yellowy orange, the second red, and the third green. Only after doing this and testing the game out with some people, confusion became apparent. They couldn't see how green or the yellowy orange colour related to the anger and what not. What they did like though very much was the red. They could relate to this level and could understand what was going on. For this reason I then decided that if it works, don't fix it, implement it! So all three of my final backgrounds are a combination of black and to mix it up just a little, shades of red rather than just the one solid red colour.

No comments:

Post a Comment